Total Pageviews

Monday, July 9, 2012

Easy Crockpot Chicken

One of the frustrating things about summer for me is that I have no air conditioning in my apartment.  Last week, the temperatures averaged in the high-90's with a heat index in the 100's.  So, obviously, not the type of weather where you want to be firing up your stove or oven.  That is why I LOVE my crock-pot.  I have used a crock-pot since the day I moved away from home because of the convenience.  However, in the summertime, there are weeks where I would not have any home cooking if it weren't for the crock-pot!

This week, I had chicken thighs in my freezer and was really trying to figure out what to make.  I apologize because only one of the ingredients was actually a Fresh Fork product, however, by the end of summer, I can guarantee that almost everything in this dish could be from Fresh Fork.  It makes a really nice spicy chicken that you could serve over rice or noodles or put in tortillas for burritos or over tortilla chips for nachos.

Creamy Spicy Chicken
  • 1-1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, frozen (may substitute 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken*)
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles (substitute 1 large heirloom tomato with one hot pepper, diced*)
  • 2 cups frozen sweet corn*
  • 1 can Black Beans, drained & rinsed (substitued 2 C cooked black turtle beans*)
  • 8 oz Philadelphia fat-free cream cheese (substitute fresh cream cheese, any fat content*)
Place chicken in bottom of crock-pot.  Pour remaining ingredients on top.  Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours, stirring every couple hours.  When finished cooking, remove chicken thighs and cool.  Shred chicken and return to mixture.  Allow to cool about 30 minutes before serving.  Serve over rice, noodles, in tortillas as tacos or burritos or over tortilla chips as nachos.


*CSA ingredients 

No comments:

Post a Comment