Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Enchilada Chicken

The one advantage of having been grounded this weekend is that I have time to cook.  I have an extra chicken since we got two in a row, so I offered one of them to my husband.  Originally, I was going to have to carry it up to MI and cook it up there.  Since I wasn't allowed to travel, I decided to cook it for him here.  I had gotten a packet of Rick Bayless's Enchilada Sauce (with roasted garlic and tomatoes).  I have tried his taco sauce and it was really good, so I am excited to see how this tastes.  Of course, my husband likes everything spicy (and enchilada sauce is usually quite mild), so I added jalapenos to the mix.  All of this was cooked in a crock pot.  I love cooking whole chickens in the crock pot because they always come out moist and beautiful.

Enchilada Chicken 
  • 1 (4.5-5 pound) free-range chicken*
  • 1 pkg Rick Bayless's enchilada sauce (with roasted garlic and tomatoes)
  • 1/2 jar Jalapeno slices
Remove neck and giblets from cavity of chicken.  Place chicken upside-down into crock pot.  Pour enchilada sauce over the chicken.  Place jalapeno slices around and inside chicken cavity.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.  Using a quick-read thermometer, make sure that the temperature is 160F when placed in the thickest part of the thigh. 




*CSA ingredients

No comments:

Post a Comment