Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Prepping for Surgery

I haven't announced it here yet, but I am prepping to have bariatric surgery. At this current time, I am just waiting for a surgery date. When you make the decision to have this type of surgery, there are a number of hoops you must go through. First, you must be at a certain BMI. I will not tell you mine, but suffice it to say, it's high enough. From there, you must get current test results for any co-morbidities. In my case, I have 3; sleep apnea, mobility issues and now, high blood pressure. Thankfully, I do not have diabetes or heart issues.

 To prepare you, most insurance companies require a history of weight loss efforts as well as participation in a physician-monitored weight-loss program. In my case, I had to go for 6 consecutive months. And finally, you must have a psychiatric evaluation. I have finally completed all of these things. Now, I'm just waiting for the final report to be received by the bariatric group and the date set.

Before you can have the surgery, you go on a modified liquid diet. If I had to compare it to anything it would be the Slim -Fast diet. Except no sugar and high protein. 3 shakes a day with a balanced 500 calorie balanced meal. This is to help shrink your liver so the laparoscopic surgery goes safer and smoother. Following the surgery, you have to reteach your stomach to handle food. You start with a full liquid diet Then you graduate to liquids plus blended foods (smoothies, smooth soups, etc). From there you add soft foods and then finally transition to normal foods.The focus through all of this is protein.

The stage that concerns me most is the blended food stage.  My mind couldn't wrap around how to make high protein blended foods.Since I need to cook carrots, Brussels sprouts and beets this weekend, I would make a series of blended vegetable soups adding protein powder to add protein. Then I will freeze them so all I have to do is thaw and eat when that stage comes. Today's recipes will be these soups and some higher protein smoothies that will come in handy then too.

I will have to suspend my CSA during these stages, but will return to the CSA next summer. In the meantime, I have been asked to blog about my experiences because it might help others in my situation decide if this is an option for them. In my case, my knees made the decision for me. I need to get the weight off to prevent needing an early knee replacement.Stay tuned for my recipes and experiences!

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck. I'm sure by blogging your experience you will be helping many people with a very difficult decision.

    ReplyDelete