Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Ribs!

This week we got 2 racks of Berkshire ribs in our shares. I would love to be able to say that I have the dream kitchen, complete with everything, including a smoker. Since I can't say that, I turned to all my foodie friends (and family) on Facebook for the best way to cook them. I was reminded that "low and slow" is best for cuts like ribs. I had originally thought I would do them in the Crockpot. But several of my friends talked me into the oven. I would like to shout out to: Mark Dutcher for the dry rub idea, Steve Pierce, Rebecca Story, Susan Botnick Brill for oven baking instructions, and everyone else for their feedback on using the Crockpot. Here is what I did:

Over Barbequed Berkshire Ribs

 Dry Rub
  • 1 part fresh pepper
  • 1 part onion powder
  • 1 part garlic powder
  • 1 part chili powder
  • 2 parts kosher salt
  • 4 parts white sugar
  • 4 parts brown sugar
  • 1 to 2 parts smoked paprika
Mix all together in a small bowl.

Cooking instructions
  •  2 lbs Berkshire ribs*
  •  Dry rub (see above)
  •  BBQ sauce (I used Clark Pope's BBQ Sauce*) 
Preheat oven to 300°F. Cover large cookie sheet with foil. Rub ribs with dry rub on both sides until well-coated Place ribs, meaty side down, on cookie sheet. Cover with foil and bake about 2 hours. Pour off fat. Brush ribs with BBQ sauce. Return to oven and bake, basting with sauce every 10 minutes, for another 30-40 minutes, or until meat begins pulling away from the bones.



Note: cooking times will vary based on thickness of ribs.

*CSA ingredients

1 comment:

  1. When you have more time, try setting the oven temp to just below boiling point and wait for the goodness. They look great!

    ReplyDelete