Total Pageviews

Friday, October 12, 2012

The BIG Milestone!

Yesterday was my six month follow-up with my PCP.  I knew that I was approaching my "BIG" milestone.  This is that milestone that makes you feel like you are on the right track and that this time, just maybe, you will make it to your ultimate goal.  Don't have one of those?  Oh c'mon, I bet you do or did.  For me, the big milestone was getting below 250 pounds.  And I mean OFFICIALLY getting below that number; verified by my doctor's scale.  When I stepped on the scale yesterday, it read.....drumroll...............................................................248.8!!!!!!!!!

Really, there was just something about getting below that mark.  Since I gained above that mark, I have never managed to get below it with just diet.  Not only that, but the last time I weighed 250 lbs was when I was 25....20 years ago!  So, this is a really big deal.  Now, why didn't I write about it right away? Well, quite frankly, I was waiting for my blood work to come back.  I know that the weight has been melting off since I started physical therapy and have been walking more.  I will admit that even though I am just as diligent as I always have been, there is a part of me that is waiting for the health issues to start.  I love my friend, Scott, to death, but he didn't start having his health issues until after I had had my surgery.  When I found out that he had ended up back in the hospital with a telescoping intestine and also issues with protein, it scared me.  He admitted to me later that he was not diligent about his diet, having become enamored with the quick weight-loss, so he probably didn't eat the protein the way he should.

The fall is a time when I am tempted to sway from my diligence because the vegetables are so yummy and only really available this time of year.  For instance, a couple weeks ago, I made a beautiful roasted squash soup.  The trouble is, there wasn't one iota of protein in the soup.  Did I enjoy some of it?  Yes!  Did I make a regular part of my diet? No.  I turned around and made a Black Bean, andouille sausage and kale soup which was high in protein.  That is what I made a big part of my diet.  Did I want to have more of the squash soup?  Absolutely!  But I also knew that I would have to eat more than I wanted to make up for the lack of protein. So, I enjoyed the aroma and gave it away to people who were more than happy to eat it for me.  And that made me feel good.  I have seriously wondered if I should consider trying to set myself up for making and selling soups.  I have discovered that I have quite a talent for making soups that are interesting and tasty that people really enjoy.  Maybe someday soon.

In the meantime, I am posting a couple pictures that I took the other night when I returned to Fashion Bug to buy smaller sizes of pants.  I am afraid that with the buyout of Lane Bryant/Catherines/Fashion Bug, the line of pants that almost fit are going to be discontinued, so it made sense to go back and get the smaller sizes so I had them available as I lost weight.  The pictures below were taken in the same night (two different locations).  On the left, I am wearing the size 22WP pants (which, btw, I am wearing right now at work) and they fit!.  On the right, I tried on the 20WP pants when I got home and was shocked to discover that I could put them on and fasten them.  They are too tight to wear right now, but it won't be long until they are the size I am in.  Remember that I posted that wedding picture before?  Well, I was wearing a size 22 in pants then too.  So, technically, I am smaller now (at 90 pounds heavier) than I was then.  I really wonder what size I will be wearing when I get to goal.  Only time will tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment