Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chicken and Vegetables

After a rough week, I am finally feeling like I have energy again. Unfortunately, my meats have gone bad. I am thankful that I have friends willing to help me out. My friend, Leland, is headed to the grocery store to get me a rotisserie chicken. I hope they have some available. I decided to just make a melange of sorts and add chicken for protein. It smells really good cooking on the stove.

 Chicken Vegetable Soup
  • 1/2 large onion, finely diced
  •  1 small butternut squash, diced
  •  3 stalks celery, with leaves, diced
  •  2 carrots, diced
  •  1 red pepper, diced
  •  2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  •  1 28oz can diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
  •  1 small rotisserie chicken, shredded
 Prepare vegetables. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add vegetables and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently over medium heat. Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Add shredded chicken, cover and cook another 20 minutes. Blend a 1-cup serving.


Note: I have purposely overcooked this soup to make it blendable. Cooking times can be adjusted and chicken added with the tomatoes and stock if you prefer firmer vegetables.


No comments:

Post a Comment