Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Making Sure

Today has been an adventure in and of itself. I have been dealing with a painful leg since Monday. I assume at first that it was from overuse on Sunday. But it wasn't getting better. The pain in down the back of my left leg and there was a fullness behind my left knee when I stood. There were no other signs of thrombosis, but I felt it important to get checked out. I got an appointment set, but noticed a twinge in my right calf when I stood up and decided to drink a V8. For anyone who doesn't know, a can of V8 (low-sodium, of course) has 1150 mg of very accessible potassium. As soon as I finished 1/2 cup, the pain and fullness lessened. I hadn't thought of it before, but it totally makes sense this would be the case. I take HCT for my blood pressure. It is a diuretic and thus is known to leach potassium from your system. I also have been on a stilt liquid diet for 2 weeks so I am sure my nutrients are all screwed up.

 When I got to the doctors office, I forgot to let him know that I am an immunologist and he seemed a little annoyed with my suggestions.However, when he checked my leg out and then found out what I do for a living his attitude completely changed (for the better). He told me he agreed that it didn't look like DVT, but wanted to test my electrolytes and for blood clothing factor to figure out why it hurt. He said if they came up with a positive on the blood clotting factor, they would bring me back for an ultrasound to locate the clot. I am now just waiting on results.

Soon to today's recipe.I have been craving Italian. So, I set out to figure out a deconstructed lasagna. Surprisingly, it was quite easy. I had ricotta in the fridge. And I just went from there.

Blended Deconstructed Lasagna
  • 1 cup part-skim ricotta
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium V8
  • 2 Tbsp grated Romano cheese
  • 1 tsp dried basil
Mix all ingredients. Blend if necessary. Heat 1 minute on HIGH in microwave.

I cannot tell you how satisfying this dish was! I would guess that you could add any ground meat if you prefer meat lasagna. However, at this stage in the game, it is quite hearty enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment