Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Long Day

I'm not so sure why it is taking me so long to write this blog, but I need to write it. First, I owe my surgeon a big thank you. If he hadn't required me to have the IVC filter, this week could have gone completely different.

 On Monday, I woke to my left leg hurting. On Sunday, I had unwisely done my own grocery shopping. By the time we got home, I was exhausted. I thought I was being good and getting up every hour to move around. So, I assured that the pain was from overuse.

 By Wednesday, the pain had not gotten any better and I was to go back to work on Thursday. Plus, there was a fullness behind my knee that wasn't normal. However, I had no other signs of a blood clot. I called my surgeon and was advised to see my PCP that day. My PCP wasn't in but another physician saw me. He examined my leg and said he didn't think it was a clot, but took blood for a D-dimer test and to check my electrolytes. If the D-dimer was up, he would send me for an ultrasound.

 Overnight, the results were posted and they didn't draw enough blood for the test. I had an appointment that morning with my PCP anyway. She took a look, said the same, drew more blood, but told me to go ahead and set up an ultrasound; she'd let me know if I didn't need to go. I then went back to work.

 Friday morning came and I heard nothing. I will admit there was a part of me that wanted to chance the ultrasound until I heard the result. The smarter part won out and I got it done. I had a "new" clot in my calf. At the emergency room, they asked me to describe the symptoms. When I mentioned the fullness behind my knee, they told me that was the most apt description of a DVT they had ever heard (remember that, it might save your life someday). Because I had the filter and my CBC was "normal", they didn't admit me. I was shown a training video on how to inject myself with anti coagulant and given coumadin, which I will now take for 6 months.

There were 2 good things about the clot. First, a clot in the calf is the safest. It is the least likely to dislodge and go to your lung. Second, it was "new". This means it will dissolve quickly and there is no scar tissue left behind. This means less chance of recurrence. But the biggest lesson I learned from this is to stop trying to be so self-sufficient. It's so hard when you live alone, but I have great friends who are willing to help. I need to be more grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment