Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Borscht

I am sad to say that I didn't manage to get to the beets in time to use those beautiful leaves.  But I made the borscht anyway for consumption now.  Maybe we will get beets again so I can make another batch of borscht (with the leaves) before Christmas.  Here's tonight's version:

 
Simple Borscht
  • 2 lg bunches beets
  • 8 cups water
  • 4 Tbsp chicken base
  • sour cream

 Trim the stems of the beets to 3 inches above the beet.  Wash beet thoroughly so that the cooking water may be used as the stock.  Place whole beets and water in a large Dutch oven.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.  Transfer beets to ice cold water.  Peel by rubbing with a paper towel (skins should fall off).  Dice the beets to 1/2 inch dice.  Return beets to cooking water, add chicken base and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer another 5 minutes.  To serve, place 1 cup soup on a bowl.  Add 1 Tbsp sour cream and stir.
 

 
I think my husband prefers beef base to chicken, but I don't have that right now.  So, chicken it is.  The difference for Christmas is that the soup must be vegetarian, so I usually use a mushroom base for that version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment