Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday night dinner

Okay, so I will admit....when I am in the process of cutting up vegetables, I do tend to get a little over-ambitious in plans.  Because I knew that it would take the longest to peel the brussels sprouts leaves, I started with that dish tonight.  And then I realized that the dish called for quinoa and decided: "Maybe I don't need to make carbonara tonight".  I think I was probably right with that assessment.  Here's the recipe for the brussels sprouts:

 
Sauteed Brussels Sprouts over Quinoa
Adapted from Vegetarian Times Magazine
  • 2 Tbsp pepitas (they called for hazelnuts)
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 8 oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 1/2 cup water
  • 3/4 cup quinoa
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 oz fresh romano (they called for feta), optional

 
1. In a small dry saute pan, toast pepitas over medium heat, stirring constantly, until they begin to pop and turn brown.  Set aside.

 
2. Bring water to boil.  Sprinkle with quinoa. Reduce heat to a simmer, cook 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.  Remove from heat and set aside

 
3. In the meantime, peel leaves from Brussels sprouts halves, discarding the cores.  Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add Brussels sprouts leaves and saute for 5 minutes.  Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons water and cook for about 1 minute more or until leaves are tender.  Add minced pepitas, garlic, salt, pepper and cooked quinoa; mix well.

 
4. Place mixture into bowls and sprinkle with romano cheese.  Makes 2 servings.

 
Tip: When they suggest that you cut the brussels sprouts in half, follow the advice.  It does make it easier to peel the leaves from the core.

 

 

 
This was an absolutely lovely dish, but would only qualify for a light dinner.  My husband was not ready for just a light dinner, so I made a soup from the cauliflower. 

 
Curried Cauliflower Apple Soup
Adapted from recipe by Gail Greenblat
  • 16 oz cauliflower florets
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 8 oz applesauce (I used natural)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water

 
Steam cauliflower in microwave for 8 minutes on High.  In a smaller bowl, combing olive oil, garlic and curry powder.  Heat 3 minutes on High. Watch closely so it doesn't burn.

 
In a large bowl, combine caulflower, curry mixture, applesauce, broth and water.  Heat at 80% for 5 minutes more.  Cool.  Puree with an immersion blender (I do not have one of these, so I used a good old-fashioned blender).  Adjust seasoning. 

 

 

 
I was surprised how bright green the cauliflower pureed up!  I didn't think that it was quite that green.  I might increase the curry next time and then add a few diced apple pieces as a garnish.  But this is definitely a keeper recipe!

 
BTW, if anyone is wondering what I'd like for Christmas, an immersion blender would be really nice ;).  I am sure I won't get it this year, but it is something that would be quite handy!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE my immersion blender! I use it weekly. If you don't get it for Christmas you should definitely just go buy one! I mean, I couldn't live until Christmas without mine. You can even use it for single serving smoothies, salsa, and chutneys. I hope you get one :)

    ReplyDelete