Total Pageviews

Monday, November 15, 2010

Monday, Nov 15 dinner

I went back and forth today with what I wanted to make for dinner.  I ran across a recipe for broccoli lemon pasta which sounded really good, but didn't use either bacon or tomatoes.  And I got probably 10 roma tomatoes with my CSA package, so I went back to my original idea.  So, here is the recipe that I found for a Bacon Tomato Carbonara:

Bacon & Tomato Spaghetti Carbonara

(updated on Feb 18, 2009)
  • 8       Slices bacon, chopped*
  • 2       Tbsp butter*
  • 1/3    Pkg (900g) spaghetti
  • 4       Eggs, beaten*
  • 1/3    Cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2       Large Ontario greenhouse tomatoes, seeded and diced*
  • ½      Cup grated parmesan cheese
  •          Salt and pepper to taste
 
In a frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain and reserve drippings. Set aside. Combine the drippings and butter and set aside. In a sauce pan, cook the spaghetti per package directions. Drain and return to the sauce pan. Add butter mixture, eggs, cheese and parsley. Toss to combine. Cover and stir over low heat until mixture is creamy and slightly thickened. Stir in tomatoes. Add salt and pepper. Serve immediately, sprinkled with more parmesan cheese if desired.
Obviously, I just substituted the pumpkin sage linguine for the spaghetti.  Here's the picture:
Here's what I have left:
a couple cups of califlower
half dozen roma tomatoes
half of the bacon
8 oz fresh milk gouda
2 lbs fingerling potatoes
4 cups diced green peppers (in the freezer)
2 bunches of beets with leaves
1 5-lb local whole chicken (which never thawed this weekend, so it's in the freezer for now)
I actually need to at least cook the beets to peel them tonight, but would like to get the borscht put together so the leaves don't go bad on us.  Beet leaves are what give the borscht the flavor we love.  And I should have enough beets to pickle some too....can't wait for that!

*CSA ingredients

1 comment:

  1. btw, I didn't have any fresh parsley and couldn't find my dry, so I just skipped that. It would be very pretty with fresh parsley!

    ReplyDelete