Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 14, 2010

My package

It's always interesting to use a GPS or mapping program to find places that you have only been to one time (and you didn't drive the first time), but the best part of where I pick up my package is that it is one of the best little collection of restaurants in town.  The only time I have ever been to the Tremont area is when my brother (a definite foodie) came down to go to Lolita, one of Michael Symon's restaurants.  It was a great evening, but I couldn't remember how to get down there.  So, I plugged the address (behind Lilly Chocolates) into my mapping program on my phone and followed their directions.  I always find it interesting that they never use the same directions coming and going and the going directions were much more direct that the coming directions.

I arrived at the location to find a truck and Trevor waiting.  I handed him one of my fabric bags and he disappeared into the truck.  When he came out, there was a full bag (about 10 lbs!) and the most beautiful beet greens peeking out!  I made a comment about how excited I was to start cooking with all this food and how beautiful the beet greens were.  Trevor mentioned that he was excited about this package for the very same reason, so I told him that I intended to make Borscht with the beets and the greens were ultimately the most important part.  Of course, that peaked his interested and he asked how I use them.  In the end, he asked for my recipe and told me that he would take recipes and pictures from anyone who would like to send them and at the end of the season would award a discount on the next season to whoever had the best recipe/picture.  I am all in for that!

Oh yeah, and in the end, he gave me a second bunch of beets because apparently people had turned them down!  Can you imagine?  Turning down fresh beets?????  I have enough now to have not only to make my borscht but also pickle some beets as well.

This morning, I am deciding what to do with everything.  And I believe tonight we will have pan roasted Brussels sprout leaves, brined fingerling potatoes and a carbonara made with the fresh bacon, roma tomatoes and pumpkin sage linguine.  I just happen to have fresh romano cheese to finish the carbonara.  But I have to go sing first....recipes to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Your dinner sounds delicious! I sure hope you share your pictures of the finished product!

    ReplyDelete