Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A guest recipe today!

I didn't manage to get anything done last night because I decided I needed to go swimming and then had to go to the grocery store.  However, I did get a recipe from my collegue and fellow CSA member and he told me I could post it on my blog.  It sounds really good and fresh and I can't wait to try it out!

 

 
Leland’s Beet Soup
By Leland Metheny, M.D.
  • 3 medium beets
  • 4 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 3 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6 cups chicken or vegatable broth
  • sour cream
  • cilantro
 
1. Preheat oven to 450 F
2. Wash beets thoroughly, rub with olive oil and wrap in foil.
3. Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes until cooked through
4. Place in ice water and remove the skins with a paper towel (skins should peel off)
5. In the meantime, chop up the celery, carrots and tomatoes
6. Add olive oil and butter to a large cooking pot and heat to medium
7. Add celery and carrots and saute until they are soft
8. Chop peeled beets
9. Add beets and tomatoes and cook for 5 more minutes
10. Add broth.
11. Wrap thyme and any other herbs with twine and place in stew
12. Add 2 bay leaves to pot,
13. Add salt and pepper to taste
14. Cover pot and let simmer for 30 minutes
15. Remove bay leaves and herbs
16. Puree vegetables until smooth
17. Add sour cream and or cilantro on top of puree for extra flavor

 

 
When I was sprucing the recipe up, he mentioned that the herbs he used are his preference, but you could certainly use any fresh herbs that you like: for instance, rosemary, basil, oregano.  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment