Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A new adventure

I am excited to say that I will be participating in a winter CSA program.  For anyone who doesn't know, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  It is an opportunity to support local farmers and merchants and encourage sustainable practices.  A friend introduced me to an organization called Fresh Fork Market last summer.  I looked at the program then, but just didn't see how I could incorporate it into my life.  A lot of things have changed since then and I will be living on my own again starting in January, so actually, I decided that it would be a perfect way to get fresh groceries through the winter. 

The program actually started a week before I actually joined, so I had the benefit of knowing what was included in the first week's package.  And it looked interesting and fun, so I joined.  This week will be my first package pickup.  They send an email at the beginning of the week of pickup letting you know what to expect in the package.  And I have to say, I am intrigued and excited about what I am getting.  I can't wait to plan menus using the items included and will post recipes as I make them.

Here is what I will get my first week:

-          1 whole pasture raised chicken, approx 5 lbs
-          1 8-oz piece of raw milk gouda from Mayfield Road Creamery
-          1 lb pumpkin sage linguini
-          1 lb nitrate free thick sliced bacon
-          1 head green cauliflower
-          1 bunch red beets with tops
-          2 green bell peppers
-          2 lbs fingerling potatoes
-          Quarter peck Goldrush apples
-          2 lbs roma tomatoes
-          1 stalk brussel sprouts

My head is spinning with all the possibilities (including fresh borscht for my husband!).  Stay tuned for how it unravels!

No comments:

Post a Comment