Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 23, 2011

CSA Meatballs!

So, this may be hard to believe, but I have only once in my lifetime made meatballs before.  This is especially surprising if you know that my great grandparents were from Sicily!  :-s  But this week, in our CSA package, we got three packages of ground meat: hamburger, veal and Italian sausage.  Perfect combination for meatballs, don't you think?  We also got a dozen fresh eggs, so I am very flush with eggs.  Thus, this morning, I decided to do my best to make meatballs.

Italian Sausage Meatballs

Makes about 50 meatballs
  • 1 lb hamburger
  • 1 lb Italian sausage (bulk)
  • 1 lb veal, ground
  • 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp sweet basil, dried
  • 3 garlic cloves
Place all three meats in a large bowl and mix well.  Add breadcrumbs, egg, basil and garlic; mix well (try not to handle meat too much).  Line baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray.  Make meatballs by taking a small handful of meat mixture and rolling it into balls (about 1-1 1/2").  Place on baking tray, about 1/2" apart.  Bake at 375F for 20 minutes.  Either freeze for later use or add to homemade sauce.

Weight Watchers PointsPlus value (2 meatballs per serving): 4 points






I will make some spaghetti sauce later to put some of them in (the rest will be frozen to take to my husband).  I also recieved some fresh black pepper pasta in the package this week, so I will probably have meatballs over the fresh pasta for dinner tonight.  Yum!  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment