Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Pick-up day

So the interesting thing that happens when you no longer have 300 cable channels is that you start watching local stations and this morning, that has been interesting and educational.  So far this morning, I have gotten tips on making a good, moist meatloaf (I will be using these for the ground veal we get today) and watcher Eric Ripert make paella.  Paella has always been a mystery to me.  I have taught myself to make jambalaya, but paella just seemed so much harder.  After watching this segment this morning, I think I might be able to try it out.

It turns out that paella is similar to making risotto, except you don't constantly stir the rice.  You add stock, let the rice "drink" it up (as Eric kept saying), add more until it looks as though it will be done.  Then you add all of your meats and vegetables to cook as the rice finishes "drinking".  He only stirred a couple times to check how cooked the rice was.  Once he added the meats and vegetables, the only thing he did was turn the fish to make sure it cooked properly.  So, when I have the ingredients, I will be embarking on my first attempt at paella. 

For this weekend, however, it will be meatloaf and roasting the pork shoulder for sandwiches and stews.  But in the meantime, it's time to go pick up my package!

No comments:

Post a Comment