Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 16, 2011

The items my husband enjoys

In every package I received, there are items that I give to my husband to enjoy with his lunches.  Often times, it is apples because there are more than I can or will eat in a couple weeks.  Last week, we received sweet potatoes.  Now, don't get me wrong, I do like sweet potatoes, but with all of the squashes that we have received, I didn't know if I would find time to use them.  I also know that he likes to eat them as a recovery snack after his runs. 

This morning he told me that the sweet potatoes I gave him last week were some of the best he's had in a long time.  He has one more really large one left and has been asking about how to cook it in the oven since he thinks it won't work well enough in the microwave.  Generally, what he does with them is wash them, poke them with a fork and then cook them at 70% power in the microwave based on how big they are.  When they are done cooking, he wraps them in foil and allows the steam to finish cooking them for 5 more minutes.  I have had them cooked this way and they are almost perfect.  However, I can see his point about really large ones.  Microwave cooking is good for some things, but I am guessing that he wouldn't be able to evenly cook the really large one.

This weeks goal is to get the pork shoulder out and thaw it so that I can slow roast it and make some sandwiches and stews with it.  I haven't decided on the mix of seasonings that I am going to use yet, but I will make a dry rub for roasting.  I have seen some Cuban and 5-Spice mixes that are intriguing.  I am looking forward to some fresh pulled pork sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment