Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What to do with squash

This month, I have received 2 turban squash, 1 acorn squash and 2 butternut squash in my CSA packages.  For me, that is a lot of squash.  In the past, I might have bought 4 squashes a WINTER!  So, the question then becomes; "what do you do with all that squash?"  Last night, I started to address that with a very simple recipe using ingredients I had in my pantry.

Easy Stuffed Squash

Makes 6 servings

3 medium winter squashes (acorn, turban, buttercup)
1/2 pkg onion & sage stuffing mix
1 cup fat-free chicken broth

Prepare a 13"X9"X2" baking pan with cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Cut squashes in half and remove seeds.  Place squash halves in pan cut side up.  In a medium bowl, combine stuffing mix and broth.  Allow stuffing mix to absorb the broth.  Spoon into cut squash halves.  Cover loosely with foil and bake for 1 hr 10 min or until squash is cooked.  Squash is cooked with a fork easily pierces the flesh.  Makes 6 servings.

Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4/squash half


I have to say that there is just something about the contrast of the sweet squash and savory stuffing that makes this so good!  This recipe could be dressed up by adding sausage and/or chopped apples, dates or raisins to the mix. 

I had good news last night:  I received a new investigator award from the American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation.  So, I will be in Cleveland for another 2 1/2 years at least.  So, this will give me more time to enjoy this wonderful CSA program that I have joined.

No comments:

Post a Comment